Projects made from my finds are to come at a later date. But to begin with, I worked on a birthday present for a friend's daughter. There's something about this little girl. She is such a great child....warm, kind, compassionate, artistic, smart (oh-so-smart!), and an all around great kid. Of course her mom would say that she's a typical tween. But see, because I'm not her mom, I get to see all her good attributes. And this girl knows what is important to her as well. She has a great passion for being eco-friendly.
So for her birthday, I wanted to honor that. Other than a couple dollars spent, I used supplies that I already had around the house.
Supplies (I had everything on hand except for the ones with prices):
8x10 picture frame
3x3 picture frame ($1 at the Dollar Tree)
pages from an old book
printer photo paper
The project started off with the idea of making her a picture frame with rolled up magazine pages. I tried and tried to get them to roll up perfectly, but it just wasn't working for me. I couldn't find something small enough to get the rolled as tight as I wanted, but also to be able to get that item out of the middle of the roll. I tried and tried and finally gave up. That's when I had a lightbulb moment. Her and her family love to read. And I have a couple old Reader's Digest hardback books that I had bought a long time ago at a thrift store. I had used them at one point as decoration. But for now they were just collecting dust in a box. So how cool would it be to decoupage them all over these two frames?
I didn't think to take a before picture of the frames because I was so excited to start. So let's just use our imagination for a bit...lol. I took the glass and backing out of each of the frames. Located my bottle of mod podge and a small paintbrush. Then tore random pages from the books. (I'm not 100% sure of what the stories were in said book, but I tried to scan the pages for any bad words or inappropriate language. Sorry ahead of time if I missed anything...LOL) Then I commenced to tearing the pages into smaller, more manageable pieces. Using the paint brush I slathered the frame with mod podge, making sure to wrap the paper all the way around. Once I had it all covered, and it had dried, I then covered the whole thing in another layer of mod podge.
here . So I got to work cutting out 1 inch strips of cardstock and more pages from the old book.
My first attempt at the flower started off really well. But as I got to the middle, it wasn't working out as well. The reason for that was that I don't have a regular sized stapler, therefore the staples I used weren't able to get to the very middle like the example on the blog showed.
friendship bracelets with my daughter.
I then added a small paper flower embellishment to the small frame using the supplies I had on hand from this recent project.
I love how they turned out! I WILL be recreating the typography in some form for my own household. I don't know what form it will be in, but I must do my own! :)
|The flower vase behind the frame is Brianna's. |
But we made one for the birthday girl as well.